Translate

Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sudden Death... to Pycnonotus Zeylanicus

Sudden Death... it's a fantastic title, right? I have some bad experiences regarding sudden death, which often happened to birds. I will share a real story based on my own experience regarding the sudden death, which could be happened to your birds also.

It was a real expensive loss to me. I have found several death of my Straw-Headed Bulbul collections. One story I have told in other posted article, titled 'My 1st Pycnonotus 'Cucak Rawa' Zeylanicus [Straw-Headed Bulbul] where it told you how the [unfit] birds could be died by the cold water spraying [in morning bathing]. The other second thing like this was happened on year 93, in Malang, when I was a student of a Technology Institute in there.

I bought a young Straw-Headed Bulbul, caught from wild/forest, seems it is a female one. It cost me Rp. 80,000.- [Eighty Thousand Rupiahs] at that time, 1993, in Splendid birds market, Malang. It took about a month [caring period] since I bought, to make it starts singing. It sang its first song I heard when the rain was coming in a rainy day, absolutely I feel happy for that. The song was very simple [hehehe, of course it match to its price]. After couple months I took care of it, it grew became more rapid in singing songs, more familiar to human, looks already tamed, did not seen too wild no more. During the period I took care of it, I also bought other same birds kind. Other Straw-Headed Bulbuls I had then that time, was became 5 [five] birds. So I had some Straw-Headed Bulbuls, where I had a little bit more of interest on that kind. As some may says that the Straw-Headed Bulbul was an exclusive one, aristocratic character and high level performance, for bird [of course]. They had more appreciation by birds lovers in Indonesia, compared to other bird kinds. It was a little bit more difficult to get this kind, especially the good one.

On day, the bird looked unfit, not that healthy no more, it had lost its voice even it still could sing. The voice was closely unheard. The sounds were hoarse and husky. This condition has had happened for a couple days and did not getting better until weeks after that. But after couple weeks, its condition, physically, looked getting better. The voice became heard out, even it was not clear yet. I still done the same treatment on daily basis. Until one day, I put it into its bathing cage and spray with water in that morning. The bird seems very happy took a bath, I could saw it sang couple songs while taking bath. After few minutes, I put it back to its cage for then I hung it to get warmed by sunlight. I left it that for several minutes by treated my other birds. Next hour, I have finished took care all my birds collection. I started look at the cages I hung, I could not found that bird on its perch. I was very surprised then, when I took down the cage from the place I hung it, I found it, again, laid on the base of the cage, dead. The body was still warm. What the ....., I just got watched it spread its wings widely to get more sunlight while also sung couple minutes ago...

The thing made me got surprised was look at it singing happily, but it also die suddenly!

I just could not get it into my logic mind when that thing happened. Even the years after that incident. It looks so strange and weird to me. But I wanna tell you this, beware of taking care a Straw-Headed Bulbul when it's get not in fit condition; Do not try to make it taking a morning bath.... [or you may get the same thing as the above sample]

No comments: