Translate

Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Orange Headed Thrush/Punglor Merah

The Orange-headed Thrush is 205–235 milliimetres (8.1–9.25 in) long and weighs 47–60 grammes (1.7–2.1 oz). The adult male of the nominate subspecies of this small thrush has an entirely orange head and underparts, uniformly grey upperparts and wings, and white median and undertail coverts. It has a slate-coloured bill and the legs and feet have brown fronts and pink or yellowish rears. The female resembles the male but has browner or more olive upperparts and wram brown wings, but some old females are almost identical to the male. The juvenile is dull brown with buff streaks on its back, and a rufous tone to the head and face; it has grey wings. The bill is brownish horn, and the legs and feet are brown.
This picture is taken on early of April 2009, showing the newest Orange Headed Thrush I collected. I get it from a bird seller in Splendid Bird Market, Malang, in early of March 2009. Once it came on my residence on a rainy night, the next early morning it just got its name. I named it 'Selat Bali'. It has one white color feather on its left wing, this is not ordinary. In Java, the birds which has white color in their feathers, especially in the outer part of the wings [as usually it occurs on pigeon/dove], they used to be called 'Selat' [Java Language]. In Bahasa Indonesia, selat means 'strait' in English. The 'Bali' name I give is based on information from the previous Owner [who put this bird in the hand of bird's seller], as he said that this bird origin is Bali. So that's why I name it like that.
When you try to collect this bird kind, you have to be more patient. For the example, in the next days after I bought this 'Selat Bali', it is singing very good, in loud sound and various songs. This is hapenned in couple days and then in the fourth day, it is starting get into the moulting period. It starts to be silent. Sounds nothing, at least until about a month, 'till the feathers is complete. Once the feather is complete, it is starting to sing again, but only in the very low sound. I've waited for about couple weeks, it is always like that. This is a normal condition to the bird of this kind. That's why I said that you had to be patient.
I started think that it scared of the other Thrush I had. So, when a friend of mine ask me to borrow one of my Thrush collections, I just lend him one. I gave him the old one. He take it at night. Suddenly, the next morning it [Selat Bali] is starting to sing out loud! Maybe it knows that the superior one has gone.

Another picture I presented in here is the Orange Headed Thrush I had. I bought this bird about a decade ago, since early 1999 when I stayed in Malang, during the period I breed Canaries, Black Throat/Yellow Rumped Serins, Grey Finch and the Mule or Hybrid of the those kinds. Today, year 2009, so it has been over 10 years I kept this bird. First time I took this bird, seems it alreday aged about 2 or 3 years old, so today it is about 13 years old. I have brought this bird through the birds exhibitions and championships over 3 years, at least. I put name for this bird as 'Gerhana' to be written on the certificates everytime it won the exhibition.

It could sings various songs. Its origin songs, duplicate songs and other weird strange songs. It is also a good bird who dare to sing at anytime, anywhere and at anyplace. Even when it is in the moulting period, as it seen in the picture [the picture is taken while it is moulting]. The singing style also good enough, especially when it is 'drunk', in the top form, top performance. I think I'll be patient, keep having it and taking care of it as it is always satisfiying my ears with its songs everyday.

The other Thrush I had were also Orange Headed, and one species came from Nusa Tenggara, 'Punglor Cendana'.

No comments: